Click Here






Home


News Blog


Fixtures/Results


Officers


Clothing


Photo Galleries


Tours


Statistics


Player Profiles


Hall of Fame


History


Archive


Links









Other sites

OC Hockey Club

OC Rugby Club

OC Society

Cranleigh School

Previous Posts

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]





Thursday 8 February 2018

Copleston and Henderson enter the Hall of Fame


It was announced at the dinner on Friday that Eds Copleston and Ed Henderson have been invited to
join the Hall of Fame. Neither were present but both sent messages of acceptance:-

Eds Copleston wrote: "“Thank you to the Hall of Fame members for electing me, I am delighted to accept. I am in illustrious company in the Hall of Fame and it is an honour to join such OCCC greats. Since my first game 20 years ago and the club's first tour to Antigua with the scary Mike Chetwode in charge and “Mac” as president, the club has given me so many fond memories. Often, of course, I would have been first on the list for any “Hall of Shame” for tour behaviour!

"The captaincy, touring, cup titles etc have been just a small part of the work other people did to build this club to where it is now. I would encourage all the younger generation to get involved, come on tours, play as much as you can because the work I have done is nothing in comparison to the fun I've had out of this great club over the years. Have a splendid evening and see you all in the summer”

Ed Henderson wrote: “Good evening everyone. Today is the due date for the arrival of Hendo Junior No. 3 so I am either at the non-strikers end of a hospital bed watching blood and carnage down the other end or I am in the pavilion nervously waiting to go into bat.

"I am sincerely honoured to be invited into the Hall of Fame. It is completely unexpected but I am
delighted. I can say without exaggeration that for 18 years, this club has provided some of my fondest
memories. Whether it be glorious summer days on Jubilee, tours dinners or OCCC weddings. It's the
people that make it. Chetters, Martin, Henry, Rick, Simon and Eds who I join in the Hall of Fame are
the stalwarts who were the playing backbone of the club when I started and continue to provide so
much time and support. A word for Mac too at this stage who created the Hall of Fame and who
sadly died last year. He was a bloody good man – a reliable source of constructive criticism and
ascerbic humour who was a great support to me as captain.

"So
from diarrhea in Chandigarh to prozzies in Lusaka;
from broken Brewers Cups to Rick Johnson tantrums;
from the Braborne in Mumbai to Kayalitsha township in Cape Town
but always back to Jubilee.

It has been a privilege and I hope there is much more to come. BELGRANO TO MY RIGHT.”

Richard Seeckts was also invited to become a Vice President of the club and he also accepted
(although he appears to have forgotten that he was our fixtures secretary for most of the ‘90s):
“So I am your Mike Pence?  Well, I am speechless! What a laugh, 112 appearances (I just looked it up) and 110 of them largely forgettable. Except that it was always great fun, for one reason or another. Must be something to do with holding the fort until someone better came along, and then having the good grace to know when to step aside…..

"Whatever, thank you, I am honoured, even chuffed, that anyone even thought of such a thing, let
alone ‘elected’ me. Have a good dinner on Friday, give my best to those who remember me. Do I now get invited to big club events? Nice one”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


Copyright © 2011 Old Cranleighans. All rights reserved.